Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bring on those lazy, hazy days of summer!

Well here we are in mid August and we are finally getting summer. Aside from the fact that here on the shores of Lake Ontario, everything is a bit cooler, summer in New York this year just wasn't much to write home about.
Despite that fact though, the past couple of weeks have improved considerably. We have had plenty of green beans, zucchini and even cherry tomatoes, though most have what I call "stretch marks" from being loaded with moisture. Very sweet though! I am loaded down with basil- love it! and am planning on canning the rest of the banana peppers tomorrow. Our pumpkins have finally taken off, with the big ones just about doubling in size every day. Too bad I didn't plant any pie pumpkins. :(
Weeding the garden this morning got me thinking of all I want to grow next year: garlic and onions, more squash, more zucchini, eggplant, brussels sprouts, peppers, heirloom tomatoes, more spinach, less lettuce, arugula, parsley, oregano, and cilantro, and even though I had 6 big basil plants, I will plant more next year. After all, all my children love pesto, and I'm betting by next year, Emma, Ella, and Isabelle will be willing to try it.

No comments: